Cricket Betting Australia
A sport that has continued the bonds established between Britain’s former colonies is cricket. One of Australia’s most popular sports, it’s no surprise that it attracts thousands of punters.
With the arrival and continued development of online sports betting, more and more of these punters have taken to Cricket betting at top-quality websites that make it so much more convenient than visiting the bookmaker at the local pub.
Punters have options of different cricket bets, betting on local and international matches, as well as real time betting on matches. A range of convenient banking services make it possible to enjoy potentially rewarding sporting action from the comfort of your own home.
Given the different types of cricket matches that are played, Australian punters have a range of betting options that could limit the excitement of the wager to a few hours, or extend it over several days.
As the world’s first professional team sport, cricket boasts one of the oldest and most diverse betting scenes on the planet. Nowadays you can wager on Test matches, One Day Internationals, Twenty20 games and domestic cricket with the click of a button, thanks to our trusted online bookmakers.
Best Cricket Betting Sites For Australians
When it comes to cricket betting, the most thrilling matches are multi-day Test matches such as one of Australia’s biggest sports events, the Boxing Day Test at the MCG . If you’d rather avoid the stress that can come with waiting for a winner to emerge over several days, as men battle it out on the field with bats and balls, limited-overs, one-day international, and single-day matches are a fantastic cricket betting option.
Punters who are pressed for time could bet on Twenty20 limited-overs matches. These matches are limited to 20 overs or three hours’ play.
Cricket Betting Odds in Australia
In addition to a variety of matches that can be bet upon, punters can also place a variety of different cricket bets, each offering a unique opportunity to win. While the classic to-win bet remains the most popular of these, online Cricket betting has seen spread betting grow in popularity.
This form of betting presents better cricket betting odds, and this is even more the case when there’s a heavy favourite involved. One example of this when a punter places cricket bets on the team he or she thinks will lose. Even if that team emerges victorious, the punter could still win if that team bets the spread.
In the same manner, if a punter places a wager on the team he or she thinks will win, and that team wins but misses the spread, the punter will not receive a payout.
It follows that bigger spreads can bring bigger payouts. Punters who place cricket bets at these great sites for Australians are often able to choose the spread.
Another type of Cricket betting, regarded by many punters as safe and easy, is linked specifically to tournaments.
With these cricket bets, punters place wagers on the teams they think will be featured in the semi-finals and finals, or top eight, four or two, of an up-coming tournament. The payouts will be made according to those placements.
These top sites also allow for placing specific bets on cricket matches. Punters could place cricket bets, based on the playing history of teams, on who they think will be named Man of the Match, Top Batsman, Leading Wicket Taker, or Lead Scorer.
How to bet on cricket matches
With three unique formats played in dozens of countries all over the globe, cricket offers a wealth and variety of online betting options that few other sports can match. Sign up at one of our top-ranked sportsbook sites and check out an enormous range of big-money cricket markets such as these:
- Match winner
- Double chance
- Draw no bet
Other match markets
- Total match sixes
- Total match fours
- Team of top batsmen
- Coin toss
First innings bets
- Highest opening partnership
- Highest first 15 overs (Test and ODI)
- Highest first six overs (T20)
- 100 to be scored?
- 50 to be scored?
- First over runs
- Method of first dismissal
Props and exotics
- Man of the match
- Top team batsman
- Top team bowler
- Player over/under runs scored
- Player head-to-head performance
Futures and outright bets
- Series result
- Correct series score
- Most runs for the series
- Most wickets for the series
- To reach the final
- To pass the group stage
Test cricket markets
The Test Championship is the premier level of representative cricket, featuring the world’s top 10 national teams: Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, West Indies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Matches are played over two innings and for up to five days, in what is often a gruelling test of both mind and body.
- The Ashes – England and Australia played the very first Test match back in 1877 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, and they’ve been the best of enemies ever since. Every two years they resume hostilities to contest the Ashes urn – the ultimate symbol of supremacy in cricket’s greatest international rivalry.
- Border-Gavaskar Trophy – Australia and India may not seem the likeliest of foes, but their recent power struggles both on and off the field has made for some fierce showdowns on the Test arena. The series winner’s trophy, first awarded in 1997, is named for two of the game’s great leaders: Australia’s Allan Border and India’s Sunil Gavaskar.
- Frank Worrell Trophy – Australia and the West Indies have played out some of most memorable moments in cricket history, including the famous Tied Test of 1960. After 17 years of Windies dominance in the 1970s and ’80s, however, the Aussies have now held the trophy since 1995.
- Trans Tasman Trophy – Australia have a lot of enemies, don’t they? Once a footnote on the cricket calendar, the ANZAC rivalry is starting to gain real significance as the Kiwis – so often the whipping boys in decades past – continue to climb the international rankings.
- India vs Pakistan – Contests between these two cricket-mad nations are almost as intense as the border wars they’ve been fighting for the last 60 years or so. The importance of this rivalry extends well beyond the field of play, as cricket offers rare opportunities for good will and diplomacy between India and Pakistan.
- England vs India – Like the Pakistan rivalry, these colonial clashes are loaded with historical and political grudges. England-India Test series currently feature two main prizes: the Pataudi Trophy for contests held in England, and the Anthony De Mello Trophy for those on the subcontinent.
ODI cricket betting
One Day International (ODI) cricket is the elite limited-overs format, where each side has 50 overs in which to post their scores. Unlike Test cricket, one-day series often feature three or more teams in a round robin competition. There are also several high-profile ODI knockout competitions, including:
- ICC Cricket World Cup – Many would argue that this is the biggest prize in all of cricket, bar none. The rest join the best as they go head-to-head in a thrilling knockout comp to see who will be crowned champion of the world. Australia have collected a record five titles, while the West Indies and India (two each) also have multiple wins.
- ICC Champions Trophy – Whereas the World Cup includes associate nations such as Ireland, Afghanistan and the United Arab Emirates, the Champions Trophy features only the eight top-ranked ODI teams. It was first held in Bangladesh in 1998 as the ICC Knockout Trophy, with South Africa claiming their first (and so far only) international honours.
- ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup – Fun fact: the first Women’s World Cup was held in 1973, some two years before the men’s version was inaugurated. The Southern Stars of Australia have been even more dominant than their male counterparts, winning six CWC titles in 10 attempts, while England (three) and New Zealand (one) have picked up the scraps.
Best Twenty20 competitions
Twenty20 is the newest, most exciting style of limited-overs cricket, jam-packed with aggressive hitting, clever bowling variations and high-intensity fielding. With star-studded domestic leagues all over the world, the 20-over format has quickly become a firm favourite amongst cricket nuts and keen punters alike.
- ICC World Twenty20 – The World T20 Cup tournament is like the Cricket World Cup in fast forward. It was first staged in 2007 in South Africa, where India become the inaugural champions after defeating arch-rivals Pakistan in a thrilling final at Johannesburg.
- Indian Premier League – Although Twenty20 cricket first appeared in the UK, India is now the undisputed home of the format. The IPL is the richest and most prestigious T20 league in the world, with major franchises such as Chennai Super Kings, Mumbai Indians, Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore drawing superstar talent from all over the globe.
- Big Bash League – Australia may be late bloomers on the T20 stage, but the Big Bash league (BBL) is now widely regarded as the best short-form competition outside of India. It currently features eight franchises: Adelaide Strikers, Brisbane Heat, Hobart Hurricanes, Melbourne Renegades, Melbourne Stars, Perth Scorchers, Sydney Sixers, Sydney Thunder.
- Caribbean Premier League – The West Indies have always been touted as the greatest entertainers in world cricket, and their burgeoning T20 competition only furthers that reputation. International stars who have joined the CPL in recent years include Kevin Pietersen, Jacques Kallis, Shahid Afridi and Daniel Vettori.
Mobile Cricket Betting
These mobile Cricket betting sites recommended for Australian punters present opportunities to bet on matches played not only locally, but internationally as well. Immensely popular in places such as the United Kingdom, South Africa, India, and New Zealand, cricket continues to grow from strength to strength.
As the number and quality of matches being played continues to increase, so do the winning opportunities that come with Cricket betting. Open a punter account, and bet to win today.